HARASSMENT & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
If you are experiencing violence or the threat of violence from your partner, we will advise you of the options available to you and if applicable, your children. Proceedings can be instituted quickly depending on the circumstances of your case and to enable you to have the protection of the court.
Non-molestation orders can be achieved without the other person being informed about your action until after the court order has been made and served on them. Non-molestation orders prevent the other person from using or threatening violence, or being abusive, harassing or pestering you.
Court orders can also be made excluding the other person from the matrimonial home even if the other person is the legal owner of that home.
Steps people can take in these situations are as follows:
- Report any incidents to the police.
- Go to your GP if you have been assaulted.
- Ask a friend to take photographs of any injuries.
- If abusive messages are left on your telephone, then keep the messages.
- Make diary notes so that you can recall the dates and incidents.